Friday, April 27, 2012

More Than Brothers–Finally

There was a time when I didn’t think my boys would ever get along. For a couple of years , my days were full of boys bickering, tattling, and crying.

It stressed me out trying to figure out how to make them get along and like each other. The phrase “he is the only brother you will ever have so be nice to him” came out of my mouth frequently.

Moments like this were few and far between.

20090326-IMG_9318

(This picture is from 2009 when the boys were 6 and 3.)

When Cody turned 5 last year, their relationship all of a sudden changed. I suppose to his brother, Cody was no longer in the “baby phase” and was now a good candidate for a friend. :)

The bickering became less and the moments playing together became more frequent. Is it sappy that the first couple of days of them playing so nicely together made me want to cry? The moment I had been waiting for when they would like each other and want to be around each other had arrived and it made me teary because for awhile, I thought the day would never come.

Not all days are roses and dandelions, but more often than not, I will find them walking together holding hands, hugging each other to say goodbye before school starts, snuggling with arms around each other on the couch and of course, there is the endless “no, we’re not wrestling” wrestling moments.

They are growing up.

IMG_9568

Against my will, they are growing up and I am enjoying watching their relationship change.

I know that through the years, their relationship will constantly change. There will be moments where one becomes bothersome in the other’s life. Where Cody will not want his big brother to protect him so much. Where DJ will not want his little brother tagging along everywhere he goes or mimicking his every “cool big brother” step.

I am okay with that.

For now, I am savoring these moments. Enjoying the hugs they give each other - even those where a head slap is snuck in at the end of the hug. Savoring the quiet times when they are sitting side by side on the couch reading together or playing games. 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment