Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Feels Good to be a Family Again!

When we found out my husband had a job offer in San Diego, we were sad that we had to say goodbye to family and friends and the place that was home for 4 years. I was worried about taking my boys away from some of their favorite people and how hard it may be on them.

But the most important factor for us was being able to have my husband home again. For the 4 years that we were in Northern California he travelled frequently and we hardly saw him. Last year alone, he was gone almost 30 weeks.

It was like being a single parent. Without the help from my family, I don’t think I would have been able to stay sane all the times he was gone.

A friend put it best when she said it must feel like the first year of marriage every time he comes back.

The boys loved their dad, but when he was around, I’m not quite sure they knew how to have him back. When he was home, it was for 2-3 days max and then he would be gone again.

We moved to San Diego on February 11th. This was the first year in a long time that he was home for Valentine’s Day. Go figure that I would end up with the stomach flu and spend my time hugging Mr. Porcelain instead of spending the time with my husband and boys. :)

My younger son’s birthday came, Mother’s Day came and now my older son’s birthday is next week.

I cannot tell you how happy I am to finally have my husband home for all these days that we used to spend without him.

It has taken some adjusting to having him home again and learning to split parenting and housework. I am used to just doing it on my own, that it took some while to even remember that there was someone else that could take the trash to the curb on Fridays! :)

I can even see a difference in my boys. They love having their dad around and are getting to know him again. I love watching them get excited about dad coming home every day after work and running to the door to greet him. I don’t think I will get tired of that.

DJ has someone he can talk to about video games (because I can just nod my head and say "really?” before he catches on that I have no idea what he is talking about). Cody is stuck to his dad and can’t wait for him to come home every day. Now, if only he would use his dad as a wrestling buddy instead of me!

Now that my family is back to always being together, we are “home"! 

 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment